Thursday, November 25, 2010

Looking for a Job


It's been really hard looking for job. Yesterday, as I sat on my settee, I started thinking of what I could do with my life. I thought about raising funds to start a business, at the same time thought to myself, where would I get it from. What about if they ask for a collateral, What am I going to use as a security? So, I said to myself, "what about asking friends, if they can help." I called one of my friends but unfortunately wasn't available to talk to. So, I let a voice message.

As I was checking and looking through my e-mail, I notice that one of the application I made as been replied, which was a night before. They person that replied wrote ".............Unfortunately you do not have enough experience within care for this vacancy we require a minimum of 6 months in the UK".

I was mad and angry because every time they always say the same thing, even though the advert said experience is preferred but not essential and training will be given. So, I wander, what do they mean by that? And anyway, how do they expect you to have experience if you're not given the chance to proof yourself.

There are even some jobs that a child can do. For example, you are looking for cleaning jobs and you go to these agency for the job. They tell you that you need at least six months experiences. Common on!!!!! don't I clean my house?  I have been cleaning my parent's house since when I was seven. And am not exaggerating. It's something people teach their children when they are growing up especially in African set-up, I guess in UK and European countries is different.

Most of the agencies discriminate, especially when it comes to your skin colour.

Let's even forget about the agencies for now. Sometimes you're eventually called for an interview and you know that you are better than other candidate but they still say "oh, sorry unfortunately you're not successful (I called them they're not successful not me because I know what am worth and they are the losers). Some can't even give you a tangible reason to why, "they were not successful".

I heard a story of someone that was originally from Africa. She was studying for her law degree and was in her second year, I think . The university policy was for every students to have a one year's placement to gain some experience. So, this young lady search like any other students and finally got an interview with one of the Law firms in Birmingham. This beautiful, intelligent young lady travel all the way from London to Birmingham for the interview.

However, one of the HR personnel has already decided on who they wanted to give the job (this was an inside story) after just interviewing one of the candidate. Yes, you guess!!!, it was a white British person (in this case a lady).

My friend told me that, although the Black Africa lady was running a little bit late and she informed the interviewers that she was going to be late. The HR personnel started discussing, to say they will give the white lady the job without interviewing the other lady.

The conversation went like this
Let's say

Lisa said: "Oh Candidate 1 is very good, so she can have the job
then Rebbecca said: "we've not finish interviewing the candidates, moreover the other lady is still on her way"
 Lisa said:  "you know all these Nigerians.................."

Lisa has already concluded and assumed things without first knowing the facts about this lady. She's already discriminated against someone you've not even seen, don't know, and discarded the Black lady just like that.

It's a shame what these people in the HR department do. They think because they've got a job so they're better than other people and can do whatever they want to do to other people. But they've forgotten that anything can happen to anybody at any time.

Anyway, back to looking for job, I will say to anyone out there not to give up. As I am still searching for the appropriate job for me and widing all the options avaliable to me, building my network marketing business and eventually set-up my own personal business in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment